Sunday, March 18, 2012

Anna


Women don't often get to make an appearance in the Bible. I can think of a few who are pretty famous- Ruth, Esther, Mary, Mary Magdalene, and a few others, but not many. So when I come across a woman I haven't heard of, my ear (eyes?) perk up. Today, I came across Anna. She's only given about three verses in Luke, but it's enough to get a small glimpse into who she is. She's a 84 year-old prophet (I didn't know women could be prophets). Sadly, her husband died after only seven years of marriage, so she decided to live as a widow and never leave the temple. Her devotion to God is poignantly clear in these few verses. She;s spent almost her entire life, day and night, fasting and praying. While Simeon is talking with Mary and Joseph about their son, Jesus, Mary comes up and starts praising God and talking about Jesus to all the people who had been waiting for God to rescue Jerusalem. That's all it says about her. She doesn't do anything fantastic, and her presence doesn't really even move the story along, but she got to make an appearance in the Gospels! I don't know that I have anything profound to say about her, I just wanted to write a little something because she stood out to me while I was reading. I ilke to see women in the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment